The booziest, best, most creative craft cocktails are being made right here in the Bishop Arts District—here’s where to find them!
1. Botanist: With a new Beverage Director—LA transplant Iluggy Recinos, previously of NoMad LA and Bestia—at the helm, this sexy lounge-like living room has soared to the top of our list of places to get a good drink. Recinos is slinging beautifully creative cocktails like a perfectly clear “Espresso Martini” made with coffee infused vodka, and mezcal-based concoctions that balance the smoky agave-based alcohol with a touch of spice and sweetness that will turn any tequila drinker into a diehard fan. 308 N Bishop Ave.
2. Tejas: This newly reopened Tex-Mex restaurant and bar is also owned by Botanist proprietors Exxir Hospitality, so the cocktail program was also designed by Beverage Director Iluggy Recinos. Think the same creativity as Botanist, with a distinctly Tex-Mex flair. And while the frozen Palomas are an obvious (and delicious) crowd pleaser, we’d recommend sidling up to the bar and ordering up a tequila-based cocktail like the Tex Mex Railway, made with tamarind, ancho chili, minted pimms and habanero. 250 N Bishop Ave.
3. Wild Detectives: Where else in Dallas can you find a good book and great booze in the same room? This independent bookstore has programmed over 300 literary and cultural events and probably sold twice as many books and cocktails since opening, and it’s still our favorite spot to catch a reading, live show or screaming while enjoying a classic Negroni. 314W Eighth St.
4. Taco Y Vino: There is nowhere else you should be spending Taco Tuesdays than at this taco and wine bar. Every Tuesday this casual-meets-upscale spot hosts Loteria, or Mexican Bingo, with the every vivacious caller Brian, who seamlessly switches up the music while making quick-on-his-feet quips during each call. People will shout, enthusiastically participate in dance-offs to break a tie, and the tacos are as good as the wine. 213 W Eighth St.
5. La Reunion: Our favorite coffee and tea shop by day…and our favorite coffee, tea and cocktail spot by night! While caffeine aficionado and owner Mike Mettendorf has perfected the espresso-based morning sip, he’s also created a great laid back atmosphere to enjoy a drink. And you should obviously try a warm boozy one like the Hot Toddy, made with the best chamomile tea and whiskey, or an “Everything Nicer” with hot coffee, bourbon, pecan and nutmeg. 229 N Bishop Ave.
305 Melba St